Town of Penfield and Webster to hold Household Hazardous Waste | Environment
The Monroe County Department of Environmental Services (DES) and the towns of Penfield and Webster and the Village of Webster have joined forces to hold an appointment-only Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection at the Webster Highway Garage on Picture Parkway, on Saturday, April 16, 2011 from 7:45 AM to 12 NOON.
Appointments are required for safety and efficiency. Penfield residents may make appointments through April 15 by calling the Highway Department at 340-8710 (Mon-Thu 7 AM to 4:30 PM) or by using the online scheduler at http://www.monroecounty.gov/hhw.
Most HHW (paint, flammables and other chemicals from home-use) is safe when used and stored properly. When materials become unwanted and are disposed of improperly, these household wastes can become environmental hazards.
Residents may bring up to 30 gallons of liquid and 75 pounds of solid HHW materials per appointment at no charge. No 55-gallon drums will be accepted. For more information on recycling hazardous materials visit the Monroe County website. Waste from businesses will not be accepted.
• Oil-based & Latex Paint (for 1/3-gallon or less of latex paint: discard lid, add kitty litter, let dry, place can in trash)
• Wood Stain & Preservatives
• Automotive Fluids (antifreeze; brake, power steering and transmission fluids)
• Pesticides & Fertilizers
• Flammable Products (gasoline, kerosene, thinners, strippers, solvents)
• Household Cleaners (liquid soaps & waxes, drain cleaners, etc.)
• Driveway Sealer
• Pool & Photo Chemicals
• Rechargeable (Ni-Cad) & Button Batteries
• Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
• Syringes/Sharps (safely packaged)
Do Not Bring: Used motor oil and vehicle batteries (contact service station or retailer); propane tanks (permanent HHW facility only), cans with dried paint (if it rattles when shaken - remove lid and place in trash); empty containers (trash or recycle); everyday alkaline batteries (trash); glazing/spackle and joint compounds (trash).
If residents are unable to take advantage of this one-day HHW collection, the County offers other collections throughout the year. For more information, or for business waste disposal options, call DES at 753-7600 (option 3), or go online at www.monroecounty.gov/hhw .
Upcoming Events near Webster-Penfield
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local unemployment rate drops in March
- Harley School holds grand opening of The Commons
- Brush fire on Pinnacle Hill threatens broadcast equipment
- Harley hosts press conference and public opening of The Commons, a “Living Building”
- MCC radio station to hold Monte Carlo night to benefit Wounded Warrior Project