Foodlink's Freshwise Farms in Penfield closing this week. | News
Foodlink has announced that it will be shutting down Freshwise Farms, a greenhouse that has provided locally-grown produce and educational programs.
The farm was opened by Foodlink in 2003 and, in the last two years, has been a popular visiting spot for field trips with it's unique "Farm-To-School" initiative that allowed children to learn about farming methods hands-on.
Foodlink has indicated that it wants to make providing immediate assistance to the hungry its main priority, rather than focusing on community education.
Farm Operations Manager, TJ Tyler, said that he's disappointed to see Freshwise close, but has enjoyed the opportunity to learn from the experience.
"It's given me the opportunity to learn how to start something from scratch, and to get my feet wet farming for a non-profit."
The last day of operations for the farm is this Friday, March 9.
Upcoming Events near Webster-Penfield
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Perinton Concert Band presents "For the Joy of It"
- Assemblyman Mark Johns to host fourth annual free boating safety course
- Do the Right Thing Winners: Teagan Holmes, Sarah Danesh and Elle Liberatore
- Gubernatorial candidate Rob Astorino in Rochester today
- Republican candidate for governor, Rob Astorino in town tomorrow